You see, Ed (can I call him Ed?) thinks that parents have no business raising and educating their children in the way that they see as best to do so. No, no. That’s not possible because only professional educators should have that privilege.
Yes, a government employee with “certifications” is much more qualified to produce the positive character traits, morals, and educational attainments, and to provide love, tolerance, acceptance, and one-to-one direct learning with a child than the child’s own biological parents.
There are simply too many kids “slipping through the cracks” in home school environments in Illinois. So many of them are idling away their time in boredom and ignorance, turning to drugs and alcohol to beat back the impending doom of their empty futures. Depression over not being able to take the latest standardized test, or to go to the Prom, is causing home schooled kids to be admitted regularly to local hospitals and placed under immediate psychiatric care. And the sibling rivalry! Peer pressure from unrelated individuals in age-based, largely arbitrary grade level peer groups is really just better for the kids in the long run.
But Illinois Senator Ed. Maloney (D) would like you to think so.
For more on this developing story, follow the discussion on Twitter by searching for the hashtag #StopSB136 and by reading the prepared testimony of home educator Susan Ryan for the hearings going on RIGHT NOW (as of this writing).
Also, let me know (either in comments or via Twitter) what you would say, as a home schooler, to a truant officer knocking on your door (without a warrant) and demanding to “review” your curriculum and educational environment.
- Homeschooling NIBS in ILLINOIS (ppjg.wordpress.com)
- “Education Committee – Meet Illinois Homeschoolers” and related posts (eduwrit.com)
- “Illinois Senate Bill Would Require Homeschoolers Register With State” and related posts (regularthoughts.blogspot.com)
- New Illinois State Motto : Nice Place to Visit – Can’t Afford To Live There. (ppjg.wordpress.com)
- QUICK! Tell Springfield Lawmakers “No More Gambling” and “No New Taxes”! (therightofthepeople.wordpress.com)
- Truant former integrity chief wont testify till April, lawyers say (theglobeandmail.com)
- Amy Pullella’s Son: The Case of Chronically Truant Government | James Pat Guerréro (jamespatrick1.wordpress.com)
- Mother Jessica Heiser jailed over ‘truant’ son who missed 9 days of school (dailymail.co.uk)
- Homeschooling in Colorado (debrakb.blogspot.com)
- Online Learning: Better than the classroom… (therightofthepeople.wordpress.com)
- Making A Homeschool Decision? 8 Different Ways To Educate At Home (brighthub.com)
- Truant students to face fines: Allan (cbc.ca)