Editor’s Note: I do not know to whom to attribute this as it came to me via email. I’m quoting it verbatim. If you are the author/photographer, reply in the comments so I may credit you and/or link to the original source.
UPDATE: The original source is El Marco. Many more pictures and commentary, plus this video of the participants, so-called “racist teabaggers” by Salon.com (must see) are presented there. Thank you, El Marco!
UPDATE 2: Islamic crescent-shaped memorial for Flight 93 victims?
Did you hear about this?
What our liberal media doesn’t tell us!
Not one major network sent a satellite truck or camera crew to this event. Without Bloggers this newsworthy event would have remained unknown to the public and history.
On Sunday, June 6th, a multi-ethnic, multi-racial coalition of Americans opposed to Islamic violence and intolerance rallied at the site of the World Trade Center in New York City.
9/11 families were joined by immigrants from India, Russia, Egypt, Israel, Africa, Iran and Europe to show opposition to the construction of a mega-mosque at Ground Zero. Others flew in from overseas to speak or just to share their particular ethnic communities’ experiences at the hands of Muslims.
These are parents and spouses of firefighters killed on 9/11. The rally took place just a minute’s walk from Ladder 10 Firehouse, where their loved ones were stationed for duty that terrible day. Ladder 10 lost seven firefighters.
Crowd estimates ranged from 5,000 (NYPD) to 10,000. The crowd overflowed the police barrier enclosures that ran the full length of two city blocks. This photo shows the enclosure in front of the stage at the intersection of Liberty and Church Streets. The second enclosure ran the length of the next block and can be seen on the other side of the traffic lights.
Thousands of additional participants filled the treed area of Zuccotti Park.
Robert Spencer and Pamela Geller are the founders of STOP ISLAMIZATION OF AMERICA, which sponsored the rally. Ms. Geller is a citizen journalist and blogger who runs the human rights web site Atlas Shrugs. Mr. Spencer is the author of several books on Islam and head of the influential web site Jihad watch. Pamela Geller:
“Ground Zero is a war memorial, Ground Zero is a burial ground. We are asking for sensitivity…It is unconscionable to build a shrine to the very ideology that inspired the jihadist attacks at Ground Zero, right there. We are asking the imam Rauf and Daisy Khan to be sensitive. For mutual respect and mutual understanding that is demanded of us every day.
There’s a hair-trigger sensitivity in the Muslim world, you can’t run the cartoons, you can’t say Mohammed, this is offensive. This is an offensive mosque. To build a shrine, an Islamic flag of conquest on the sacred ground the cherished site, of a conquered land. This is historic, this is Islamic history. It’s what they do. The St. Sofia in Turkey , the al-Quds, at the holiest Jewish site in Israel . Not here. This is where we take a stand. We must take a stand. We must say no.”
I do not believe that the landmarks commission controlled by Mayor Bloomberg, is going to stop this mosque. It’s not going to happen. Here’s Omar Muhamedi, on his human rights council, a CAIR lawyer, who sued the airlines and the Jane and John Does that saw something and said something on those airplanes, if you remember. That’s who’s on his human rights commission. It ain’t gonna happen with Bloomberg. We have to make it happen. You have to get involved.” (Pamela Geller)
Police enclosure on left, with crowd flowing out of park on right. The new Tower 7 and World Trade Center site are in the background. The green tent, center, is located immediately behind the stage.
Port Authority and NYPD officers kept watch over the rally and were well aware of the need for heightened security at this event. One of their own Port Authority officers, WTC Sergeant Alan T. De Vona was on duty at the World Trade Center on 9/11, 2001, and was one of the first to help victims of the terrorist attack. He spoke these words to the SIOA rally:
“It’s almost nine years. I’m hoping that America is watching. I’m hoping that America is remembering. Because, make no mistake. September 11 was an act of war. And thank the military that has lost almost 5,000 troops from that day, defending us. I don’t know what to say to jar America ’s memory. I want America to remember.”
Port Authority Police and FDNY firefighters are seen here gathered beneath this banner.
“The issues at stake will certainly affect the heart of American freedom, democracy, cultural values and tolerance. America is a tolerant country that allows for the free worship of all its citizens. But our tolerance has limits. Do we have to tolerate intolerant Islamic ideology and Muslims who preach intolerant Islam?”
Hindu human rights activists Narain Kataria, Prasad Yalamanchi and unidentified friend came from Mississippi and Chicago with banners and flyers highlighting the radical statements of imam Rauf and his jihadist roots.
Stephen Dyer and Gary Jules journalism students at York College, with Pamela Geller. Not one major network sent a satellite truck or camera crew to this event. Without bloggers this newsworthy event would have remained unknown to the public and history.
Pamela Geller is greeted by Hindu human rights activists Prasad Yalamanchi and Narain Kataria.
Bhupinder Singh Bhurji, Pamela Geller, and Robert Spencer. Singh Bhurji is the president of the NAMDHARI SIKH FOUNDATION. The foundation is a member of the Human Rights Coalition Against Radical Islam (HRCARI). HRCARI is a coalition of Hindus, Sikhs, Christi ans from Sudan, Egypt and Iraq, moderate Muslims and Jews — who are victims and targets of radical Islam around the globe. He said, at another rally:
“Radical Islamists are killing people in India , trying to dominate that nation. And here too they come with violence against “infidels.” We are “infidels united,” standing together, brown, black and white, against this epoch’s fascist movement. Radical Islam wants to dominate entire world. They want everyone to surrender. Islam radical or otherwise. They want to put the Islamic flag on White House.”
Because of Islamic terrorism, America and the world have seen massive new security measures become a way of life. Anyone openly critical of Islam, or terrorist ideology, must surround themselves with security, or live in hiding. Those courageous enough to confront Islamism are criticized by the cowards and appeasers of the left who seek safety by supporting the enemy. Moderate Muslims were silent when Theo van Gogh was brutally murdered in Amsterdam, just as moderate Muslims in the United States are generally reluctant to speak out against violent Islam. Moderate Muslims also face great danger in speaking out.
Geller and Spencer will press on despite the danger. They hope to inspire Americans to stand up and say enough of political correctness and work to stem the galloping islamization of America and Europe.
- Pamela Geller Incites Hatred Against NY Muslim Center, While Her Commenters Post Threats (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Excelsior! Upwards of Eight Thousand Protest 911 Mega Mosque on D Day! (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- Conservatives call for Ground Zero mosque protest (cnn.com)
- Peter King Wants Mega-Mosque Investigation: Bloomberg Says Investigation UnAmerican (maggiesnotebook.blogspot.com)
- Ground Zero Mosque – Mixed Reactions (barbarany_9.blogspot.com)
- Outrage: Muslims Building Super-Mosque At Ground Zero (minx.cc)
- Manhattan Community Board Endorses Mosque Near Ground Zero (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Any decent, American, Muslim or otherwise, wouldn’t dream of such an insult’ (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- NEW YORK: Thousands Protest Proposed Mosque At Ground Zero (joemygod.blogspot.com)
- PayPal Accuses Atlas of Promoting Hate, Violence, Racial Intolerance and Financial Exploitation of a Crime (maggiesnotebook.blogspot.com)
- SIOA Rally Calls for Halt to Plans for Ground Zero Mosque (prnewswire.com)
- Pamela Geller’s “Leaving Islam?” Bus Ads Cause Controversy (huffingtonpost.com)
- Robert Spencer: New York Daily News smears SIOA religious liberty bus ads, Pamela Geller (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- The 911 Mega Mosque Imam’s Jihad: “”We need to take the 9/11 tragedy and turn it into something very positive.” (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- Mosque and State: The Greater Implications of the 9/11 Islamic Center (biggovernment.com)
- Multi-ethnic rally marches through Manhattan in support of Gaza (rt.com)
- Palin vs The Mosque (andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com)
- Court is expected to hear more testimony on 9/11 workers settlement (nj.com)
- Rebuilding officials to read WTC victims’ names (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- O’Shaughnessy: Remember, pols, FDNY budget cuts can kill (nydailynews.com)
- It’s D Day: Protest the Islamic Supremacist Mega Mosque at Ground Zero (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- Pamela Geller Incites Hatred Against NY Muslim Center, While Her Commenters Post Threats (trueslant.com)
- Legal deal for sick 9/11 workers back in NYC court (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- CNN Jihad Lover and Mouthpiece, Octavia Nasr, Resigns – Atlas Shrugs (atomiurl.com)
- Egyptian Christian at Center of Media Distortion of SIOA Rally Sets the Record Straight (prnewswire.com)
- SIOA Rally June 6 Against Islamic Supremacist Mosque at Ground Zero (prnewswire.com)
- This Moment of Pure Bigotry Brought to You By Robert Spencer and Pamela Geller (littlegreenfootballs.com)