First it was Operation Gun Runner (a.k.a. Fast and Furious), then it was Solyndra, and now a rotten deal with LightSquared that has extremely dangerous implication for national defense, general and commercial aviation, and, of course, finding the closest Starbucks. Most people will really only care if that last one becomes a problem.
Now the Pentagon has been raising concerns about a new wireless project by a satellite broadband company in Virginia called LightSquared, whose majority owner is an investment fund run by Democratic donor Philip Falcone. [Air Force] Gen. [William] Shelton was originally scheduled to testify Aug. 3 to a House committee that the project would interfere with the military’s sensitive Global Positioning Satellite capabilities, which control automated driving directions and missile targeting, among other things.
According to officials familiar with the situation, Shelton’s prepared testimony was leaked in advance to the company. And the White House asked the general to alter the testimony to add two points: that the general supported the White House policy to add more broadband for commercial use; and that the Pentagon would try to resolve the questions around LightSquared with testing in just 90 days. Shelton chafed at the intervention, which seemed to soften the Pentagon’s position and might be viewed as helping the company as it tries to get the project launched, the officials said.
I never want to hear another Progressive friend or acquaintance hurl that old canard about how only Republicans are corporate prostitutes. As screenwriter Robert Towne astutely put it, “Of course I’m respectable. I’m old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whores all get respectable if they last long enough.” Except Obama’s missing out on the “respectable” part as he nears the end of his first term. And his reign might just be cut too short to get respectability.
- LightSquared: Did White House Pressure General Shelton to Help Donor? – The Daily Beast (xbradtc.wordpress.com)
- Obama asked the Pentagon to put revenues over risks (rt.com)
- White House Pressure for a Donor? (thedailybeast.com)
- FCC Requiring Additional Testing for LightSquared Network (adweek.com)
- FCC asks LightSquared to keep on testing, doubts increasing as to whether they’ll fix the issues (intomobile.com)
- LightSquared offers low-power olive branch to GPS (go.theregister.com)
- Sprint’s Still Hoping to Move at the Speed of LightSquared (fool.com)
- Did The White House Pressure A General To Change His Testimony To Help A Campaign Donor? (outsidethebeltway.com)
- 4-Star General Says White House Pressured Him To Change Congressional Testimony In Favor Of Company Tied To Large Democrat Donor (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- LightSquared claims to have fix for GPS clash with 4G (electronista.com)