Updated: Hosni Mubarak resigns: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad hails ‘a new Middle East‘: Iran’s president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Friday claimed the uprising in Egypt and removal of Hosni Mubarak heralded a new Middle East without the “satanic” influence of the West and that will doom Israel.
Also: Iran accused of blocking BBC Egyptian coverage (newstatesman.com)
We need to be vigilant and watch what happens next. The history of revolutions in the past two centuries has shown that there is a honeymoon period, followed by a period of disarray, followed by a governmental vacuum that could go either way…implosion into a state worse than the one before it, or explosion into a triumphant, free society.
To further illustrate:
- Obama, Iran and Egypt
- Iran cheers Egyptian unrest as harbinger of new middle east
- Ahmadinejad: Egyptian protests herald new Mideast
Remember what happened in Lebanon:
- Ahmedinejad cheers south Lebanese
- Hezbollah gives Ahmadinejad a hero’s welcome in southern Lebanon
- Iran’s Ahmadinejad feted by crowd in southern Lebanon
Let’s hope that the newfound freedom of the people of Egypt from Mubarak doesn’t devolve into a Muslim Brotherhood-sponsored protectorate of the Iranian Radical Islamist Republic under the Hitler of our time, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Or, for that matter, a new effort at a Jewish (and Christian) holocaust.
Personally, I hope that Egyptians will remain Egyptians, regardless of their faith, and that Christians, Muslims, and Jews alike will protect each other from an encroachment by radical Islamonazi fundamentalist regimes.
- Iran’s view of Egypt: Opportunity and envy (economist.com)
- Ahmadinejad: Egyptian protests herald new Mideast (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Locals with ties to Egypt ally with protesters (knoxnews.com)
- Ahmadinejad: Egyptian protests herald new Mideast (sfgate.com)
- US, Israel will soon exit Middle East: Ahmadinejad – AFP (news.google.com)
- Mubarak Reportedly Flees For Red Sea Resort As Egypt Protesters Rage (huffingtonpost.com)
- Ahmadinejad: Egyptian protests herald new Mideast – The Associated Press (news.google.com)
- Egypt’s President Mubarak Plays With Fire (thedailybeast.com)
- Israeli officials: Mubarak wants honorable exit (sfgate.com)
- What Israel fears in Egypt – Washington Post (news.google.com)
- Hugh Hewitt: “He’d Be Rooting For The Next Mubarak” (hughhewitt.com)
- Egypt braces for more mass protests following Mubarak’s speech (americablog.com)
- Egypt: What Happens When the Revolution Is Delayed (time.com)
- EU calls for a new government in Egypt as President Mubarak stubbornly clings on to power (dailymail.co.uk)
- Egypt’s Military Throws Its Weight Behind Mubarak (abcnews.go.com)
- Hosni Mubarak ‘leaves Cairo’ as protesters descend on Presidents’ palace (dailymail.co.uk)
- Hugh Hewitt: The View From Israel (hughhewitt.com)
- Egyptians in Mass. worry for homeland (boston.com)
- Egypt protests spread (independent.co.uk)
- President Obama’s Statement on Egypt (politicsdaily.com)