“While the legislation as written maintains current law,” White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer said in a statement, “the executive order provides additional safeguards to ensure that the status quo is upheld and enforced, and that the healthcare legislation’s restrictions against the public funding of abortions cannot be circumvented.”
Well, like the rest of the lying liars and the lies they’ve told, White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer is continuing a strong tradition of straining credibility.
Marjorie Dannenfelser, of the Susan B. Anthony List, is rallying SBAL supporters to call their CongressCritters to still tell them to vote hell no. Here’s why (and yes, my liberal friends, she is correct).
1. An executive order can be rescinded any time. President Obama could reverse it next week, next month, or next year. Should another pro-abortion president be elected in the future, it could be rescinded on inauguration day.
2. An executive order will not prevent insurance companies that provide abortion from participating in the exchanges.
3. Abortion funding in the health care legislation can be only be removed using the legislative process. An executive order not only doesn’t fix the problem, it isn’t needed to fix the problem, and could not stand a legal challenge. If Democrats are serious about protecting taxpayers from funding abortion in the health care bill, they must use the legislative process to fix the problem.
So-called “conservative” Democrats, friend to the anti-abortion supporters Bart Stupak included, still see fit to saddle the American people and their posterity with trillions in new entitlements that will bloat the IRS and further intrude into the private lives of citizens.
“This is a historic day, and we are happy warriors,” Larson said. “We will be a part of history, joining Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s passage of Social Security, Lyndon Johnson’s passage of Medicare and now Barack Obama’s passage of healthcare.”
Oh, this’ll be a historic day, no doubt. Just not in the way Rep. John Larson (D-Conn.) thinks.
You can polish up the chrome all you want, folks, but when the engine’s shot, what’s the point? I mean that in both the legislative sense and in the “Congress has the IQ of a pile of horse manure” sense.
Related articles by Zemanta
- White House announces executive order on abortion (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Executive Order On Abortion Announced By White House (huffingtonpost.com)
- Stupak Says Agreement Reached on Abortion Issue in Health Plan (businessweek.com)
- Abortion Fight: Targeting a Former Boss (blogs.wsj.com)
- Liveblogging Bishop Stupak’s Presser (news.firedoglake.com)
- Abortion Deal Satisfies Stupak, Other Antiabortion Dems (blogs.wsj.com)
- Health Bill: Dems Close to Abortion Deal (blogs.wsj.com)
- Obama on the brink of a health care reinvention (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Health care reform will pass (trueslant.com)
- Whip count from “The Hill”: Everything depends on Stupak; Update: Presser at 4 p.m.; Update: Stupak reaches deal with White House? (hotair.com)
- SBA List Launches TV Ad Campaign (deaconforlife.blogspot.com)
- “Any Member of Congress who votes for this pro-abortion legislation can no longer call themselves ‘pro-life.’ “ (deaconforlife.blogspot.com)
- “Congressman Kildee can no longer call himself ‘pro- life.’ “ (deaconforlife.blogspot.com)
- “Congressman Oberstar can no longer call himself ‘pro- life.’ “ (deaconforlife.blogspot.com)
- “We encourage these pro-life Democrats to hold firm, or they will face consequences in November.” (deaconforlife.blogspot.com)
- Text of Obamas Planned Executive Order on Abortion (blogs.wsj.com)
- Text of Executive Order on Abortion (firedoglake.com)
- Stupak a yes! (trueslant.com)
- Game on (washingtonmonthly.com)
- Bonus Quote of the Day (politicalwire.com)